1. Vegan Carrot Soup
- 7 medium to large carrots (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and diced into rustic cubes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 piece ginger, an inch long, peeled
- 1 onion (white or yellow), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- olive oil
1. Divide the carrots in half. Place one half of the carrots on a baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Toss to combine. Place in a 375°F degree oven for about 20 minutes, shaking the pan every so often for even cooking. Remove from oven when soft, slightly brown and caramelized.
2. Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan with the ginger, onion and garlic. Bring down to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or so until the onions are soft. Add the remaining half of the carrots and simmer for another 5 minutes until the carrots are just slightly soft but not cooked through. Transfer the mixture to a blender.
3.Add the roasted carrots to the blender with the boiled carrots. Blend until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a drizzle of olive oil to each portion of vegan carrot soup and serve.
2. Ginger Apple Salsa
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Combine all of the ingredients together, and allow the flavors to set for at least one hour before serving this vegan meal.